General Garden Bed Preparation Formula
Preparing your garden bed properly is one of the most important gardening tasks you will perform. Heirloom Gardens recommends the following for approximately 100 square feet of bed area (length times width equals your bed area in square feet):
- Remove grass, mortar, rocks, boards, hard clay, etc. from the
proposed bed area.
- Cultivate existing soil 6 inches to 8 inches deep. If the soil is very tight
(hard clay content), work 20 pounds of
agricultural gypsum into the soil during cultivation.
- We suggest blending the following materials into the existing soil:
- 27 bags of soil mix
- 3 lbs of tree and shrub fertilizer
- 2 to 4 cubic foot bales of sphagnum peat moss
- 1 yard top soil
- 3 lbs of Tree and Shrub Fertilizer
- Mix additives in either of the above recommendations thoroughly.
As a result of these amendments, bed will be at least 4 inches above
the lawn or existing grade.
- Apply lb Amaze weed control for shrub beds only. Follow label
directions. DO NOT use in beds where seeds are to be sown.
- Plant the plants at the same ground level as they are growing in
- Water plants thoroughly making sure that no air pockets remain
around the roots of the plants. To reduce planting shock and to
insure a vigorous healthy root system, use a root stimulator
solution as per directions. Use at the time of planting and at
bi-weekly intervals for the first two months.
- Mulch the entire bed area to conserve moisture and retard weed growth using the following amounts:
- 5 bags bark mulch (3 c.f.)
- Thoroughly water the entire bed area after planting. Continue
using a root stimulator bi-weekly
as per directions for at least 2 months on newly planted shrubs and
More on Soil for the GardenSoil Savvy